Hiring Local Coordinator for Untokening California!
The Untokening collective is seeking a temporary, part-time co-coordinator for our next gathering: "Untokening California: A Convening Exploring Tokenism and Going Further in Our State." Details below!
Position Description: Temporary, Part Time Local Co-Coordinator
Duration: Aug 2017-Nov 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Reports to: Leadership team point person
Compensations: $20/hour (10-15 hours/week)
The Untokening - Who We Are
The Untokening is a multiracial collective of individuals who know from our varying engagements with active transportation advocacy that decentering whiteness in our movement space is the next step towards fair and just mobility outcomes. We aim to strengthen and develop networks, trainings, and resources that supports Women, Queer and Trans / Black, Indigenous and People of Color (WQTBIPOC) movement leaders to bring their lived experiences within marginalized communities into their equity and justice-based mobility work.
To truly reclaim streets for people and make them safe and accessible for all, we need to address mobility through an intentional lens of culture, class, race, identity, and community. Thus, we center the lived experiences of people, particularly leaders from marginalized identities as well as leaders who are actively engaging, organizing and advocating alongside people within marginalized communities, to address mobility justice and equity.
We’re building a mobility justice movement by:
- Creating convening spaces for leaders from marginalized communities;
- Strengthening and resourcing networks, trainings and leadership development;
- Co-powering grassroots to grasstops mobility justice actions, advocacy, policies and agendas at the local, state and national levels.
- Organize, engage and help coordinate a functioning and effective local host committee.
- Work with the host committee to plan the local pre, during and post convening activities..
- Promote the conference to gain registrants, sponsorships and in-kind and financial donations, and local/regional media coverage.
- Secure local volunteers for Convening activities.
- Plan and attend local events leading up to the Convening on behalf of Untokening Leadership team.
- Research and recommend local, worker-friendly vendors and restaurants for Convening program and participants.
- Support Convening coordinators in logistical and program planning of the Convening overall.
- Outreach and organize amongst: People of color communities in LA and California, specifically, artists, activists, disabilities rights groups, youth groups, queer-identified groups, advocates, cultural workers, white anti-racist groups, educators, student groups, policy makers and race communicators.
Skills, Attributes and Experience:
- Experience coordinating small and large scale events
- Community organizing or involvement in the social justice movement
- Deep understanding of/connection to local and regional racial and social justice communities
- Project management skills, including task management and follow up
- Responsible, hardworking, organized and detail oriented
- Handles pressure well
- Works well in fast paced environment and can meet deadlines
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments simultaneously
- Strong computer literacy skills, including proficient use of Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Google Suite.
- Proficient with and knowledgeable about social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter
- Flexibility and a sense of humor
- Strong communication skills, especially on the phone and over email
- Occasional travel and weekend work required
Compensation (based on 10-15 hour work week) is $20/hour.
Please email resumes and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: “Temporary Part Time Untokening California Convening Local Coordinator –LA”. The rolling review of applications will continue until we find the right match.
Preferred start date is on before August 15, 2017.